Here is a story told in parts … in which a father of seven discovers stage-three cancer in a southerly orifice and for some reason finds that funny.
This is my story. My son Jack wants me to talk about my cancer and midlife aftermath. So here we go. I’ll try to post installments once a week or so.
Below are links to each part of the story as it’s posted. The introduction is about the series, which doesn’t formally start until Part 2. Please feel free to comment on each part or email me at email@example.com with general comments.
I tell this story to inform, amuse and entertain, but also to encourage you to take better care of yourself.
Please note: by necessity, this story is kind of graphic. The series contains language and situations that might make some readers uncomfortable. But that’s sort of the point — get over it. Let’s talk about this uncomfortable stuff and maybe you’ll get yourself checked and maybe you’ll find cancer before it’s too late. (Or — let’s hope — you get checked and the doctors find no cancer. That’s an even-better happy ending.)
. . . . . . . . . .
- Part 01. Introduction
- Part 02. Dumb Ass
- Part 03. A Season of Surgery
- Part 04. My Life, B.C.
- Part 05. Aunt Edna
- Part 06. Pleasant Overweight White Male
- Part 07. I’ve Always Been Into Death
- Part 08. Devil’s Tower
- Part 09. The Magic Wand
- Part 10. An Ex-Parrot
- Part 11. The First Time I Died
- Part 12. Gut Check
- Part 13. Secrets
- Part 14. Team Asshole
- Part 15. My Mother
- Part 16. The Big Tell
- Part 17. Sleepless Nights
- Part 18. I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead
- Part 19. My Benevolent Poison
- Part 20. The War Zone
- Part 21. Chemosabe
- Part 22. Worse Than Death
- Part 23. Need to Know
- Part 24. Up From Assholery
- Part 25. Thinking of Billy
- Part 26. Morphine Dreams
- Part 27. Papa’s Got a Brand-New Bag
- Part 28. Talking Shit
- Part 29. H20
- Part 30. Every Grain of Sand
- Part 31. Like a Rolling Stoma
- Part 32. My Life (Then) in Pictures
- Part 33. Spirit in the Material World
- Part 34. Another Fine Mess
- Part 35. Me and My Shadow